Veseys

Canada (Switch to US)

Information for Gardeners

Gardeners’ Forum: “golden chain tree”

Veseys Home » Learn » Gardeners’ Forum » golden chain tree
Back to Gardeners’ Forum
  • golden chain tree

Posted by Dianne on Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:16 AM ADT

Set out a golden chain tree this year. It started out well, the chains grew and the yellow flowers started opening and then all the sudden it looks like it is dying. The leaves are curling up and the chains didn't completely open. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

• re: golden chain tree

Posted by ken windsor ont canada on Saturday, June 28, 2008 1:04 PM ADT

i planted mine last year june 1st it looked good 4 1-2 months then it looked like it was dieing.The very ends dried up but the rest of the wooded pard of the tree still looks like it has life. Been like this since last year. Now June 08 and still no leaves or flowers at all.still looks like its alive within but i paid 130.00 for this ugly stick. gonna rip it out of the ground and bring it back to canadian tire and ramm it it up some ones aerse{ass}

Posted by Chuck on Friday, July 11, 2008 11:26 AM ADT

Mine started out well last year, then looked like it was dying the rest of the year. This year it didn't bloom but leafed out nicely but now looks like it is dying. I think it doesn't like temperatures above 80 F.

Posted by Chuck McKenna on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:38 PM ADT

Our Golden Chain did similar to yours. I had a tree doctor come look at it, he stated the Golden Chain tress attract some kind of bug (don't remember what the name was) and I should get rid of it. The tree was to pretty to do that so I doused the tree with Malathion mixed with water per the bottles directions for fruit trees. I also watered the tree twice weekly with a misture of 1/4 cup Malathion to ten gallons water. That was more then 15 years ago and the tree is still kicking and very beautiful in the spring. I continue watering with the Malathion mixture however only once or twice a year.

Posted by Kimberly on Friday, April 3, 2009 12:10 PM ADT

I saw my first Golden Chain Tree in Portland, OR and now would love to own one. I, however, would first like to see one that is not in bloom. Does anyone know of where I might find a picture?

Posted by Sandy on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:59 PM ADT

We planted a goldenchain. It was beautiful for several years and then died. I cut the tree down at ground level - it sprouted a whole lot of new good shoots - I removed all except one and in no time I had a sturdy new tree in good shape

Posted by Buy propecia on Monday, June 1, 2009 3:26 AM ADT

very nice post!!! thanks Buy Propecia

Posted by Cathy Yunck on Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:14 PM ADT

How can I start a new tree from this golden chain tree already established. I want it to grow in another place.

Posted by maxim on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:54 AM ADT

hi i have buy some seed on ebay and the seed have germinate what the reel hardy zone ??? on ebay the seller write z 4-8 and on my encyclopédie they write z3-8 and on web site is z5-8 ???? sorry for my bad english

Posted by dom on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:24 PM AST

does any one have tips on how to start seeds and when to start ect.. thanks

Posted by Steve on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:19 AM ADT

The tree always goes dormant soon after the flowers have run their course. The tree looks like it is dying or has some kink of disease.Leaves go brown and curl up. This is normal for this tree.This is when the tree is growing roots and the trunk is growing.Somewhat like the Japanese cherry tree. Don't fret or worry the tree will come back next may in full bloom.

Posted by Pam Gearhart on Monday, May 31, 2010 8:35 AM ADT

My husband and I are considering buying a Golden Chain tree.The location where we want to plant it..is near our Pear tree and big Azaelia bush.And about 50ft from our small creek that runs in front of our house.(Our sewage pipes are nearby also). Will the bugs damage our other plants? What about the roots of the Golden Chain Tree..will they damage anything nearby?

Posted by Charlotte on Monday, June 14, 2010 5:15 PM ADT

Does anyone know where I can buy one in Nova Scotia ?

Posted by Taigen on Sunday, July 4, 2010 7:45 PM ADT

I got my golden chaing tree many years ago from the Spring Garden catalogue that came in the mail. The only problem I had was it would not flower until I learned how to "shock" it. We do that each year in the spring and it seems to work. I am currently trying to find out when to remove seeds do I can give them to some friends to start a tree.

Posted by Bev on Sunday, July 4, 2010 8:15 PM ADT

I have a golden chain tree and happened upon this thread looking for how/when to take the seed pods. The only trouble I had with the tree was getting it to bloom, we finally have been able to by "shocking" it each spring. We just have to remember to do so and then we have wonderful blossoms. Now I am looking to harvest some of the seed pods for friends.

Posted by steve hicken on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:39 PM ADT

As I stated my tree is now 5 years old and and does the same thing as everyone else does. Spring beautiful flowers and now the tree is almost finished growing seeds and the leaves are going brown and curling.It has done this every year for 5 years.It goes dormant and all the energy is in growing roots.Don't you people ever read previous postings? Your tree is ok.

Posted by Elaine on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:28 AM ADT

Steve, Thank you for the confirmation that the leaves going brown is part of its growing cycle. My chain tree did this very thing. I assumed it was its normal habit as my mother has one that does the same thing and comes back each spring loaded with flowers.

Posted by Nina on Friday, March 18, 2011 10:05 AM ADT

What is meant by shocking the tree? I have a golden chain tree, but it only blooms about every three years.

Posted by kathy on Saturday, May 7, 2011 10:43 PM ADT

what is the zone that they can grow...living in northern saskatchwan...just would like to know if i can grow them here

Posted by Helen on Saturday, May 28, 2011 1:04 PM ADT

how big does the tree grow and how do you shock it?

Posted by Greta Hogberg on Saturday, May 28, 2011 2:43 PM ADT

My chain tree bloomed for two years after I bought it but has not bloomed for the last two years. How do you shock it into blooming?

Posted by Rose Lambert on Tuesday, June 7, 2011 11:35 AM ADT

I would like to know ho to shock a golden chain tree. My tree is 5 years old looks healthy but has never given any chains Thanks

Posted by Carmel Gagne on Saturday, December 31, 2011 12:14 PM AST

What are the zones in which you can grow these trees, some say 3 and up, is this true? How do you shock these trees? Would appreciate any advice. Thank you

Posted by hovenkamp on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:50 PM ADT

what is the sone of the tree I live in Barriere bc will it br oke thank you so much coos

Posted by Ronald Hann on Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:14 AM ADT

I've planted my tree 3 years ago. It was 3 feet tall when planted. It is now 4 years old and 7 to 8 feet tall. It has never bloomed at all, and in the summer the leaves turn yellow than brown. It is planted in the morning sun and semi shade in the noon to evening. What can I do to make the tree flower? Stop the leaves from turnning colors? Also If a dog would eat the seeds could it kill them?

Posted by Debbie Dawn on Friday, June 28, 2013 9:45 PM ADT

I have the same question as I saw from a post, when do I plant golden chain tree seed pods?

Posted by sharon baggs on Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:45 PM ADT

i had a golden chain tree my daughter gave me years ago what a beautiful tree due to severe wind storms we had the tree was damaf ged and had to be destroyed. do u know where we could purchased one

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be displayed on the fourm.
Your message will appear on the site after it has been reviewed by Veseys staff. Your patience is appreciated.