Veseys

Canada (Switch to US)

Information for Gardeners

Gardeners’ Forum: “cedar hedge”

Veseys Home » Learn » Gardeners’ Forum » cedar hedge
Back to Gardeners’ Forum
  • cedar hedge

Posted by nancy on Tuesday, July 4, 2006 11:31 PM ADT

I have a cedar hedge that has been neglected by the previous owners of the property where I live. The lower branches are looking sparse but I'm told the end of June is the best time to trim. How much can I take off. I would like to take 3 or 4 feet off to make it more manageable for fall trimming. What are the dangers of taking too much off in one trimming. Another section of hedge has the first 2 feet with little or no branches and I would like to trim at least a foot off that one. Will trimming it help the lower growth?

• re: cedar hedge

Posted by Melanie on Wednesday, July 5, 2006 10:34 AM ADT

HI! I just had the same experience... I did cut my cedar hedge three weeks ago.... I cut lots off it because it was only growing from the top, and sides of the top... making a funny shape. So the bottom was starting to look a little less plump. As far as I know, it is important to allow sun to reach everywhere on the tree. When you cut it, make sure that you make it look sort of like a cone. My father says that it is best to cut it in the spring, because they have a growth spurt around june-july. I should have listened to him!!! Now they look like they just had a hair cut! I cut all the little new bright green branches with the trim, hoping that they would come back, but they are still not showing any singns of re-growing... so I have to wait till next year for them to look nice again. I am a little worried about them now... I think it would have been best to do it in the spring, before the growth spurt. Good luck! Melanie

• snow laden cedar hedge

Posted by Bren on Thursday, November 30, 2006 5:33 PM AST

Hi we just have had some heavy snow which is a rare occurance where we live. My cedar hedge has come down the root ball pulled right out. The hedge is 15 ft. hight and about 3ft thick is there any chance of saving it.

• Cedars

Posted by Sarah on Monday, February 5, 2007 3:24 PM AST

I planted about 12 cedars late last summer. They were on clearance and had been very close together when on display so it caused the bottom leaves to dry and fall off. Apart from that the trees looked quite healthy and still do. Now several of my cedars have no leaves on the first half of the trunk. Is there something I can do to make the leaves grow from the bottom up (to fill them out)?

Posted by Werner on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:19 PM ADT

We have cedar hedges an trees cone shaped and ball shaped, I was told that it is best to trim them in April, others say in the fall now I read that the have a grow spurt in June July, can I still trim them now ? We are living in Montreal Canada where we still have frost at night. Can someone let me know ?

Posted by veikkoKangas on Friday, August 10, 2007 10:29 AM ADT

When I cut my ceader hedges.

• cedar trees

Posted by Doug Barber on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:09 PM ADT

I have 25 foot cedar trees in my backyard what's the best way to trim them

Posted by Wayne Lowenberger on Friday, August 24, 2007 1:30 PM ADT

We live in Kelowna B.C. and are surrounded by cedar hedges. The experts in the park have told us for years that the little buds that appear are the results of stress I think there just new growth but I don"t know enough about them to argue. Any help either way would be appreciated. Thanx Wayne

Posted by Bryson Gray on Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:46 PM ADT

I have a hedge in my front yard which is made up of cedar trees that are about 18 feet tall and 8 feet wide at the bottom. If I cut them down to about 8 feet high and cut the branches on the sides almost right off will the trees come back I don't care even if it takes a few years, right now they are unmanagable.

Posted by nancy on Thursday, May 8, 2008 10:39 PM ADT

I have a cedar hedge that is about 8 - 10 feet tall that the deer ate this winter. They have a little green left on the top where they could't reach and a little on the botton where they were covered with snow, they are quite bare. I live near Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. I have fertilized them twice since the snow has gone. should I trim them right back and will they come back?

• Cedar Hegde/tree trimming and health

Posted by James Brown on Monday, June 2, 2008 11:42 AM ADT

Cut after full growth - end of June. Add bone meal under a topping of triple mix. Mine are 35 years old. Planted 34 of them and none are " browned" out.

Posted by diane on Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:23 PM ADT

the roots of our cedar hedge are all exposed and i'm afraid to loose it. What kind of earth should I put on the roots and how can i keep the earth from draining in the grass when it rains.

• browning of Cedar Trees

Posted by Deborah on Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:57 AM ADT

I have two mature cedar trees on either side of picture window facing south (5'). Each cedar has 3-4 trunks producing what looks like only one cedar. This spring I noticed more then usual browning throughout the inside of both cedars where I now have open patches. The outside produced healthy new growth. Early spring I trimmed the outside to encourage growth and removed the brown dead debris on inside. New growth on the inside doesn’t appear to be happening and the branches are falling over outward from the lack of green on the inside and heaviness on the inside. Should I perhaps tie the inside branches to provide support? Severely cut back some of the branches? What could have caused so much browning throughout the inside???? Any suggestions on getting the inside growth back?

Posted by CAtherine Oliver on Monday, July 7, 2008 12:12 PM ADT

We had a professional landscaper come and trim off 3 ft from the top the cedar trees. However , the day after our neighbour cut off approx 3 ft of branches from the bottome of the trees and they are now turning brown and appear to be dying. Can this be because the bottom was cut at the same time as the top and this has caused a type of shock to the trees?? help!

Posted by ED on Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:52 PM ADT

Yes, I trimmed early spring and the cedars turned a bit brown then was ok. last fall I trimmed late Sept.and looked very good all winter and threw spring up to now (late July). need a new hair cut, going to wait until late Aug. Note no work with hedges in spring when all my other spring work is under way. My experience is never trimm to much at once, plan two trims a season and in time will work out.

Posted by William Gerlat on Thursday, July 31, 2008 10:08 AM ADT

I would like to trim my cedars,understanding that June and July are the growth spurts, do I need to wait until the end of August or sometime in September-thanks in advance.

Posted by Rene on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:18 PM ADT

Hi i cut my hedges about a month ago and now i can see a lot of brown spots should i worry?

Posted by TM on Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:05 PM ADT

My wife and I bought a house last September, and in the backyard was a mature, cedar, roughly 15 feet in height. Much of the cedar is "ok", but near the bottom, and at least 2-3 feet from the ground up, the cedar is obviusly dead. I absolutely love this tree, and am desperate to save it. My question is; Is it possible to save it? Thanks TM

Posted by Andy Hennessy on Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:08 AM ADT

Talking of negelected Cedar hedges. We have a hedge that's about 30ft high and 10ft thick. With thinning bottoms. We need to at least halve the height, but for the width of the hedge, we were told that if we cut the sides it will take years for the hedge to look green again. Does anyone know if this is the case? Thank you

• black cedar trees

Posted by kelly walker on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:05 PM ADT

Last year we planted about 15 cedar trees (emerald green arborvitae) in between are neighbors yard and ours. Everything was going great but now I've noticed the branches are turning black at the bottom. Not brown but black. Are my trees doomed?? Does anyone know the cause??

Posted by Anne Truax on Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:26 AM ADT

I have 2 cedars that have (with the help of a few friendly rabbits) lost the bottom of the trees. my question is if I cut back these trees will the bottom get regrowth

Posted by Jerome Mailloux on Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:46 PM ADT

Planted emerald green cedars two years ago. Over the winter I did not wrap the trees and the heavy snow has bent the tops over most of the trees have three or four "stems" the trees are about six feet tall. My Question is Should I trim the tops down to eleiminate the trees from being bent over at the top or will they staighten up as the spring and summer growth starts.(Only the top foot of the tree is bent as the main shoots are thin and appear not able to hold up the folage)

Posted by Irene Spithoff on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:39 PM ADT

We have a lot of old cedars on our Ontario property, and this spring, for the first time in 11 years, healthy small branches were scattered at the base of most of them, as if an animal had cut them off. The top of the one cedar looks bare ..with its branches stripped off. Can you solve my mystery?...we do have a lot of squirrels...

• 15 foot cedar trees

Posted by George Grant on Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:30 AM ADT

Q. How do I prevent a cedar tree from becoming too high and to wide?

Posted by Doris Amato on Monday, May 25, 2009 1:08 AM ADT

last year I planted 2 emerald cedars and they looked real nice and healthy,Now I noticed that they are getting blavk at the bottom..they are about 5ft tall.please help!!!

• cutting down and removing cedar trees

Posted by Betty Smith on Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:56 AM ADT

I have a dilema.We have 32 cedar trees lining our property.They are dying and look pretty bad.They are about 15 feet tall and about the size of a mans arm at the trunk.I have an estimate of $640. to have them cut down and removed.Is this a good price?I live in Ohio.

• cedar tree

Posted by Linda MacNeil on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:08 AM ADT

We have a pyramid cedar tree that looks dead on the bottom for the last 2 years. This year I noticed some new growth on the trunk of the tree at the bottom but the botom branches are still bare. Can this tree be saved? Should I cut off the bottom branches? What causes this?

• cedar trees

Posted by Louise Ingram on Monday, July 6, 2009 12:45 PM ADT

I have 7 high cedar trees on my property. I trimmed them all around end of June but I left the tops afraid to cut them. It is not as simple to cut them on a slant because they are not 3-4 trees branching into the original and are not the same length. Can you square the tops and if so, will they grow upwards or fill in so you could shape them next spring.

• re: cedar trees

Posted by Mary Craig Low on Monday, July 6, 2009 2:35 PM ADT

We have been given two cedar pyamid emerald green trees. One has 3 "tops" while the other just has the 1 top. Should we prune the side branches to leave 1 top? How far down? Thank you.

Posted by Norma Ouimette on Monday, August 17, 2009 12:10 PM ADT

My newler planted cedar are brown on top but green on bottom --can I cut the brown off now or do I have to wait til next year??

Posted by jbennett on Monday, September 28, 2009 9:22 PM ADT

hey everyone, Best time to trim cedars, are late fall early spring, if you do in summer, just a small trim. Also browning/redness if you are in very windy area and cold temperatures the cold wind will also burn them, wind burnt....i recomend a good wrapping in the fall.....also keep your dogs from peeing on they , not good for Cedars...uusually kills lover sections, or sometimes turns black. also the brown red in center won't come back ..I would just tie together in center. this is caused by lack of sunlight. hope this is helpfull..

Posted by H. Don Cameron on Friday, October 2, 2009 6:33 PM ADT

I have a 50 long cedar hedge appro 6' height. a new neighbour recently installed a new home and had extensive yard work done resulting in the hedge turning brown on their side and a few brown sections on my side. is there any hope of saving this hedge? we have very sandy soil, 300' from the salt water

• re:emerald cedar hedge

Posted by Norm Laine on Monday, November 9, 2009 6:26 PM AST

how close to a septic tile bed can you plant emerald cedars, how long are the roots?

Posted by rita sawma on Monday, January 18, 2010 2:24 AM AST

how many cm they grow the cedar every year

Posted by Carol Harradine on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:11 PM AST

We have 162 Pyramid cedars that are 20 years old and 12 fot high in the tallest place. We would like to have 2 to 3 foot cut off the tops, and would have this done professionally as the trunks are quite big., but we are wondering if it will kill them, also what is the best time to do it and how long will it be before they look as though they haven't had a bad "hair" days?

Posted by Olive Gonzalez on Friday, February 26, 2010 12:27 PM AST

I just had our huge cedar tree in the front yeard trimmed down first week of Jan 2010 by a professional. He trimmed only on all sides. He said he could not cut down the top at the same time or there is a risk of the tree not growing anymore, & to wait after about 3 or 4 years to do it. Best time to trim/cut a cedar he said is late winter before the new growth starts in spring. Olive

• 16 ft. cedar New Brunswick

Posted by Paul Kettela on Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:30 AM AST

Hi, three years ago I moved into a house with beautiful tall cedar hedges. I have let them go but now want to reign them back in. They are about 16 ft. tall. Is it too early to prune them right now (March 3) or do I have to wait a bit longer? Would it damage the plants to prune them now? Thanks.

Posted by Jack Croucher on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:44 PM ADT

Is it possible that cedar hedge trees can be damaged from water sprinkler system that hits trees directly ?

• re: cedar trees

Posted by Peter Doyle on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:18 PM ADT

I purchased 12 cedars tree in May of last year..I did not wrap them in burlap as I was told the snow would act as good insulation for them...they are about 4' high..tis spring they are very dry and rust coloured...I have been watering them frequently, but they do not seem to be reacting too the water that much...they are about 1/2 rust coloured...any suggestions..do I need to replant...thanks

Posted by Suzanne Tomchak on Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:03 PM ADT

Last week I planted 59 emerald pyramid cedars. All at about 3 feet high. The store employee told me to put about a half cup of bonemeal on the bottom of the soil cover it with about 2 inches of soil. Then set the cedar in the hole and back fill it with the triple mix and soil originating from the planting area. I've watered more than once since last week. Could they be drying out or burning. I'm worried I may lose the trees now as I've noticed some of the new top growth (about two inches worth) has curled up and is browning. How do I save these trees and my sanity. I would be devastated if I lost them. The time I spent putting these in on my own was very hard, not to mention wasn't cheap either. I would appreciate any help you may be able to give me. Thanks Suzanne Tomchak

• re: Cedar Hedge Sparce

Posted by Jennie on Sunday, May 9, 2010 3:38 PM ADT

My Cedar hedge is about 18 years old we keep it trimmed so it is manageable. But it is starting to look like the green is fading.... Should I add a mulch or fertilizer to it? I generally do nothing but trim it. This is the first year I had anything that needs done to it ever.. our enviroment is changing I think. Thanks for any advice you can offer me Jennnie

• 2 emerald cedars

Posted by doug hassall on Friday, May 14, 2010 12:01 PM ADT

my emerald cedars have been planted 7 yrs this past winter 2009/10 wasn't that cold but we had a lot of wind now spring they have a lot of browning do l need to replace them (l live in Barrie ON)

Posted by Adrien Brown on Saturday, May 15, 2010 3:11 PM ADT

I live in a townhouse complex. The cedar trees have been allowed to get too big. I am concerned about the potential for bug infestation with cedars up against the houses. Is there anywhere that I can read about this concern?

Posted by Greg Krikorian on Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:00 PM ADT

I have cedar trees (like hedges) at the back of my cottage and had been grawing. Last year they were approx. 15 geet and we trimmed by 4 feet and they told me I can cut 25% of the remaining length per annum or every May. Is this correct? thank you

• re: Blacked Cedar trees

Posted by Crystal on Friday, May 28, 2010 7:12 PM ADT

Most likely someones or your dog is peeing on the tree.

• re: cedar trees turning brown

Posted by wade slade on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:38 PM ADT

i planted about 20 cedar trees that are all turning brown and rust coloured on the southwest side of them. can someone please tell me what is wrong with them

Posted by Marcie on Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:05 AM ADT

I have one little cedar in front of my house, paid $300 for it mail order. It was exquisite and shaped perfectly when I planted it. This spring the bottom third turned brownish, 'leaves' are falling off & hard and prickly (some turned an almost 'blonde' color) I live in Minnesota, didn't 'wrap' it over the winter as I've now been reading on this site. Could that be the problem? Also, I think a neighbor dog is peeing on it, since our dog always sniffs the base of the tree with keen interest every morning. What can I do?

Posted by FT on Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:28 PM ADT

There are 15 cedar hedges on my property that run along a fence -- they are about 20 feet tall. We had them topped (about 3 or 4 feet off the top) in early june and then in late june, I cut back some of the branches that protrude too far out into the yard. There is still a far bit of green remaining on the sides, but I can see the trunks and I have to say, they look a little ugly right now. Anyone know how long until they begin to fill in?

• re: cedar tree

Posted by Judy on Monday, July 19, 2010 5:20 PM ADT

I live in Oregon and have this beauitful cedar tree and on the inside of the tree is yellowing all the branches. what is wrong with my tree and how can I help it to be green again.

Posted by Bobbie on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:38 PM ADT

We just bought a house that has trees in the middle of our sidewalk. They are have about 1 x 1 foot spaces in the middle of the sidewalk. Anyway my question is they have been severely neglected, they were about 4 feet high, only 1 has new growth to the top, the others have very little green on them, but there is some. I want to keep them but my husband doesn't because they look terrible as they are right now, just basically brown trees. I am wondering if it is possible to cut them right back, and will they grow if I do, with proper watering and care?

Posted by erik on Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:35 AM ADT

i bought about 50 cedar trees to make a hedge, i had them installed. On installation day it was extremely hot about 28 degrees, when they were delivered they were very green and fresh looking. after about 10 days, the cedars are looking tired and discolored. i keep watering them with a weeper hose, i am not sure if they are dieing or if they are ok. If i had to guess if day 1 was 100 percent green, then 50 days after installation, they would be 60% green. kind of green/yellow. any help would be appreciated, i live in Vancouver if that helps with climate issues.

• cedar hedge snow load

Posted by sean on Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:29 PM ADT

I have a cedar hedge they just finished their first year after being transplanted. They are about five feet tall. My questions is I was told I should "round out" the tops to prevent snow from bending the tops over in the winter (N. Idaho)? They said if the get bent over they will not recover well.

• Re: Pyramidal Cedars

Posted by Boris on Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:00 AM ADT

Hello, Can anyone give me their expert advice on fertilizing the above cedars? I recently gave my 15 year old cedars(now 28 feet high) a heavy evergreen fertilizing just before we received 3 inches of rain fall. Was this a bad idea gong into the Fall? If so, what will happen and how can I avoid any harm to the Pyramidal cedars? Some of the leaves are turning brownish/yellow but I believe this is common as the temperature starts dropping in the Fall. We've been getting temps down around 40 degrees F. All feedback from you "Green Thumbers" will be greatly appreciated. Mr. Over Do It.

Posted by Mark on Saturday, October 2, 2010 11:46 AM ADT

Lots of questions but no so many answers here.... Where can I find a website with good information? I googled and found very little useful information.

Posted by Homai on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:08 PM ADT

I have a cedar hedge that was planted 22 years ago. It has never been trimmed. What will happen to it if I trimmed it now?

Posted by Leslie Holland on Monday, February 28, 2011 11:39 PM AST

i have cedar hedges around my from door and they are about 16 ft tall can i cut them down about 6 ft and when could i do it i am in the central interior

• re: cedar hedge The deer ate the leaves on 5ft of my pyramidal cedars

Posted by Elaine LaRochelle on Friday, April 22, 2011 2:03 PM ADT

Please tell me if the leaves grow back or will I have to pull them out.

Posted by Ron V on Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:51 PM ADT

I planted a cedar hedge about five years agio starting with 5 to 6 footers. Heavy watering for the first two years with soaker hoses allowed for the rootballs to establish themselves and yearly light fertilizing have worked well. I am in Ontario in the snow belt and winter is tough on these trees. Wrap them up if you can and protect the lower trunk and leaves from veing chewed up by deer and rabbits. Prune the trees in the spring just prior to active growing season. In Ontario that would be around middle May. Cedars will fill in eventually around their lower trunks if damaged, as long as the sun can reach there. But it will take a while and you will need to prune the tops each year to have them fill out. Best advice? Water and wrap.

• re emerald cedars

Posted by W . Vanderpluym on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:04 PM ADT

In the last 3 years I have spent approx.$400 to $500 on Emerald cedars, they are all dying or near death. turning brown first or black at bottom and than brown.I am replacing them with black cedar Emarald cedar are not hardy enough for most psrts of Canada and verry sensitive to road salts.In my opinion,they are a number one rip off in this country

Posted by Rodney on Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:21 PM ADT

i have several ten foot tall hedge cedar type trees spaced about 3 feet apart. have been in the ground for at least 6 years. they now seem to be turning brown from th inside out. why is that happening and what can i do? pleae help. i don't want to loose them.

• re: cedar hedge - site with answers

Posted by Cedar Hedge on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:27 PM ADT

I found this web-site with a lot of answers: http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/cedar.pdf The title of the PDF document is "Dying Cedar Hedges: What is the Cause?"... may answer many of the questions.

Posted by Winston Chase on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:32 PM ADT

Cedar 6 feet placed in ground 2 years going brown have had lots of rain not sure what to do

Posted by karen fehr on Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:59 AM ADT

Hi, the buds that form are new growth. You want them to grow then harden before you trim. They will grow in the spring then harden for summer when cedar trees become dormant. The hedge will grow more buds in the fall and then harden for winter. The buds grow then harden (sleep like a bear in the winter) to prepare for new growth come spring time. The best time to trim is July August when the hedge is dormant. Do not cut off all the green or the buds. The cedar depends on these for new growth.

Posted by Marian O'Brien on Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:30 AM ADT

I have over 50 ornamental cedar trees planted as a hedge. It seems overnight that a couple turned black, i.e., on one side from the top to the bottom the outside growth is black (like tar) some is now turning brown. Does anyone know what caused this -- will it spread; the trees were planted about 7 years ago and last week they were vibrant green and healthy. Thanks.

Posted by Louise Walker on Monday, August 29, 2011 9:04 AM ADT

our cedar bushes are covered with seeds, rusty colored...they look awful..what can we do about it or is this just growth??

Posted by Redxit on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:08 AM ADT

We can help you with water damage in Toronto and cleaning services in Toronto.

Posted by kevin newcomb on Sunday, October 9, 2011 5:45 PM ADT

I completely cut off all the branches on the bottom of my cedar trees about 2-3 feet from the ground up september 15. I sprayed the part where I cut with pruning spray. They looked great after I cut them Does anyone know what the long term effect will be? The trees are about 5-6 years old and 10-16 feet tall.

Posted by Saly Haagaard on Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:46 AM ADT

Hi: I planted Emerald Cedars 4 yrs ago to for privacy and sound barrier. I have never trimmed them as they are so sparse. Have fertilized each spring. Now they have some new growth on top but almost nothing down below. I can see right through them. Have I lost them or can they be salvaged with the right care? Thanks, Sally

Posted by cindy on Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:53 PM ADT

I have 12 6ft emerald cedars and have been wrapping them with burlap for the past 6 years. They are very full and healthy, do I need to keep wrapping them. I live in Guelph, Ont. Thank-you

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be displayed on the fourm.
Your message will appear on the site after it has been reviewed by Veseys staff. Your patience is appreciated.