Veseys

Canada (Switch to US)

Information for Gardeners

Gardeners’ Forum: “When should I feed and spray my apple tree ?”

Veseys Home » Learn » Gardeners’ Forum » When should I feed and spray my apple tree ?
Back to Gardeners’ Forum
  • When should I feed and spray my apple tree ?

Posted by Beth McCann on Sunday, March 18, 2007 3:05 PM ADT

I have an old apple tree in my back yard. Last year I had very few blossoms and few fruit. Most of the fruit was wormy. Is there anything I can feed it so it will produce more fruit. I had it professionally pruned last fall. Is it possible to graft other varieties onto an old tree?

• re: When should I feed and spray my apple tree ?

Posted by Megan on Thursday, March 22, 2007 1:14 PM ADT

Hi there, I would use a dormant spray kit that you can get even at your local co-op. The trick with using this though is you can't spray when the beds are starting to open. I tend you say spray it in like feb or march on a warm day. I tend to use this 2 times a year... in the fall like first of dec or even nov. and then again very early spring. We have had very good luck using this. Also, we have used the famous tangle foot wrap that you put around the trunk of the tree. I like to have it on again very early spring and I tend to reapply it again early summer. As for fertilizing, I basically do it 2 times... once in the spring when the buds are starting to open. I just dig let say 3-4 small holes almost like you are poking holes in the ground. oh around the drop zone of the tree. And then I fill each hole with a 17-17-17 fertilizer. then I will do it again late summer early fall. You can buy those fertilizer tree fruit spikes, but I find them expensive so doing my mass amount of trees. but if you only have one tree, the spikes would be fine for you. That is all I tend to do with my trees, and prune them. So you should have some luck with it... might not notice it for a year though. As for grafting, I am not fond of it, I find it time consuming, but if your tree is old and you are wanting some more varities, try an new tree near that one... oh also if you palnt another apple tree, you might get more fruit as they tend to need to be cross pollinated, depending on your variety. hope that helps you out some.

Posted by Jason on Saturday, May 10, 2008 6:00 PM ADT

I live in Wisconsin when is the best time its still cold here

Posted by wasyl on Saturday, July 5, 2008 6:18 PM ADT

my tree is about 6 years old . at the end of june the leaves are getting brown spots and falling down and that's the end of my apples ..

Posted by shari on Sunday, May 10, 2009 3:42 PM ADT

I live in Wisconsin too. I am also wondering if anyone knows when to spray an apple tree! Thx

• bud drop off apple tree

Posted by tony mileham on Monday, May 25, 2009 6:34 PM ADT

my apple tree flowers then apple buds apear then they go yellow and drop off could you tell me what's wrong

Posted by kam on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 11:46 PM ADT

what should i feed my apple tree in alberta because last year all the little apples fell off.now the flowers are coming out so help me if you can thanks.

Posted by Mary Miyahara on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:43 PM ADT

I want to spray the calcium spray Caltrac on my apple tree but can you tell me the ratio to dilute this caltrac for spraying.

Posted by Lolita smith on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:38 AM ADT

I live in Va Beach Virginia and I have a peach, pair and apple tree in the backyard of a house i just moved in the fruit has been small for the last 3 years. What do i do to make my trees produce fruit me and my family can actually eat

• Brown spots on my apples

Posted by Sandra Bennett on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:30 AM ADT

My apple tree has several apples and are getting mid size. Some of the apples are getting brown spots on them. How do I treat this. Thanks

Posted by dennis on Monday, September 6, 2010 7:40 PM ADT

just bought a lot built a new house and i have 2 old apple trees and would like to have better apples on it ,what can i do ,thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Brian T on Monday, September 13, 2010 9:28 PM ADT

Dennis, the most important part of the tree is the root system which I think you have an established system. I would prune the tree in January or February and graft some good branches on in May. Talking to your neighbours might help in getting some good grafts as they know who has the good apples. If you want to do budding that can be done any time of the year but takes at least 3 years to produce results. Many community colleges or nurseries teach these processes and if you have high success then you will be the person to turn to. I have seed trees with up to 8 different varieties on them.

• dwarf apple, flowers well then buds drop off ( name unknown)

Posted by jimmy c on Monday, April 25, 2011 7:31 AM ADT

as tony above this has happened every year, but the blossom is nice, don't know about the apples never had one. thanks

Posted by Olga Elenko on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:55 PM ADT

We used the spray SEVIN Liqiud Insectiside,just before it bloomed, had loads of blooms now it's full of apples forming, but we notice the new leaves are curling and we wondered if we should give it another spray and will it hurt the apples?

• Apple trees

Posted by George Crocker on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:42 PM ADT

When should I spray and fertilize my apple trees and should I spray for brown spots and insects? When should apple trees be trimmed and when should they be fertilize, spring or fall or both?

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be displayed on the fourm.
Your message will appear on the site after it has been reviewed by Veseys staff. Your patience is appreciated.