How to line Sphagnum Moss Wire Baskets
How to line Sphagnum Moss Wire Baskets:
- Let the block of moss soak in a large container filled with water for about 30 minutes. Then pull apart the moss and work the water through it. you may have to let it soak longer until it is wet through and through.
- Place your container up on a potting bench or chair, pull clumps of the moss from the water and press it inside the container. It works well to place your free hand on the outside of the basket and press the moss firmly between your two hands. Start at the bottom and go to the top of the basket making your mold about 1" thick. Thicker is better than being skimpy, you want to keep the soil from falling out. Make a fist and push against the moss to compress it... When finished you will have a perfectly formed mold inside the basket.
- Fill the mold with potting soil. Since moss baskets can dry out fast, especially in sunny and windy locations, it helps to put a shallow, pie plate in the bottom of the basket before you put in the soil. The plate will catch and retain some water. You can also use Soil Moist to reduce the need for watering.
- Before placing your plants, use scissors to cut the shaggy moss that is protruding through the wire openings on the outside of the hanging basket. Your basket will look neat and compact.
- Starting with your tallest plant in the middle, begin planting your selection as you would if you were planting any container. Pack them tight with soil and water well so that soil settles nicely around the root balls.
Our Store: Sphagnum Moss