Veseys

US (Switch to Canada)

Information for Gardeners

Gardeners’ Forum: “tomato blite”

Veseys Home » Learn » Gardeners’ Forum » tomato blite
Back to Gardeners’ Forum
  • tomato blite

Posted by anne morley on Monday, August 23, 2004 10:41 PM ADT

Every year I have a problem with early blite on my tomotoes . I water my plant with a soaker hose and try to allow air ciculation around my plants. It is impossible for me to rotate my plants because the garden is to small. There must be something I can put in my soil over the winter to kill the blite spores. I need HELP

• re: tomato blite

Posted by judy on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:06 PM ADT

Where does tomato blite come from? Is it in the soil or does a bug carry it?

Posted by k.c. schultz on Friday, August 17, 2007 12:19 PM ADT

can anyone tell me what is eating the tomatoes.It seems to start out a dark spot and them goes into the flesh itself .It seems to start just as they are starting to turn red?

• blite last year .re: tomato blite

Posted by s curan on Saturday, May 24, 2008 5:22 PM ADT

can i grow my tomatoes in the same border which had blite last year.thank you

Posted by sandie casada on Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:27 PM ADT

every year I get tomato blite....what can I do to prevent it and keep it from killing my tomatoes?

Posted by JOSH HOFER on Saturday, July 5, 2008 8:19 PM ADT

we have problams with our tomatoes ,leaves curel up . what can i do or use ,thank you

Posted by Glenda on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:30 PM ADT

The leaves curl in an effort to reduce the loss of water. Soak them good at least once a week and they'll stay straight as an arrow

Posted by Glenda on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:35 PM ADT

Preventing blite from killing your tomatoes and for those who can not rotate, spray your garden soil late in the fall and early the next spring with a mixture of 2 tablespoons of bleach and 2 tablespoons of baby shampoo i a gallon of water. This will cover about 100 sq.feet of garden area. Then during the growing season, spray the tomatoe plants every two weeks with an all purpose liquid fruit tree spray.

Posted by Glenda on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:48 PM ADT

To fight early blight and other common tomatoe diseases, try using this mix on your newly trasplanted tomatoe plants. 1 cup of compost 1/2 cup powdered nonfat milk 1/2 cup Epsom salts Mix the compost, 1/2 c. of the powdered milk and the epsom salts together, sprinkle a handful of the mix into each planting hole,. Then sprinkle 1/4 cup of powdered milk on top of the soil after planting. Repeat every few weeks throughout the yr.

Posted by Marlene/Lyle Johnson on Monday, May 18, 2009 6:57 PM ADT

How to prepare ground to prevent tomatoe blite

Posted by milo on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:00 PM ADT

i gotit now they are 3 feet tall and leafs are curling up what now

Posted by gwen Kitzerow on Friday, June 26, 2009 5:41 PM ADT

I just transplanted 14' seeded plants into our garden---we had a dry period but the soil deep down where I tunneled my plants into was very moist. Now the plants leaves are turning yellow----is there a dangerous outcome for the plants to continue grownig /producing?

Posted by millie on Monday, June 29, 2009 12:05 AM ADT

have you ever herd of oral vaccine for your plants , every bodys been telling me that if you use it your tomatos wont get it...

Posted by Ronald olmsted on Monday, July 6, 2009 12:06 AM ADT

is there a cure for this?

Posted by Norman Black on Monday, July 6, 2009 10:49 PM ADT

How can I cure tomato blite?

Posted by drew dangelo on Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:48 PM ADT

how can I stop the blite from killing my tomato plants, I am unable to rotate where I plant them. The blite is slowly sucking the life out of them.

Posted by Pat Murphy on Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:06 AM ADT

I noticed 1 plant that the leaves were curling at the top and now all are. Besides the flowers are dieing. They get plenty of water and I put them in a different spot this year. This is the first time this has ever happen! Is this blite? And what can I do about it? Thanks , Pat

Posted by Sandy on Monday, July 13, 2009 11:55 AM ADT

How do you know when to name it blite ? The leaves on my huge tomato plants have rusty specks on them, is this a blite ? Is there anything I can do ? I have apx 60 plants and 90% of them have these spots. They are all loaded with small tomatoes. the stems and leaves at the bottom of the plants are dieing. What can I do to save the plants and my tomato crop ?

Posted by Sandy on Monday, July 13, 2009 12:04 PM ADT

How do you know when to name it blite ? The leaves on my huge tomato plants have rusty specks on them, is this a blite ? Is there anything I can do ? I have apx 60 plants and 90% of them have these spots. They are all loaded with small tomatoes. the stems and leaves at the bottom of the plants are dieing. What can I do to save the plants and my tomato crop ?

Posted by deb on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:23 PM ADT

i have the same problem with blite i spray with a fungiside i rotate i wash my tools and again this year i think i may lose my whole crop any ideas

Posted by Donna Booth on Sunday, July 19, 2009 9:41 AM ADT

I have tomato blite, there has never been a garden in this location. What causes it and what can I do for it. This area had a shed on it and since it was not seeded down (at least for 36 yrs) I decided to put a garden there. Everything else is doing great.

Posted by pastor ernie on Monday, July 20, 2009 5:08 PM ADT

what is tomato blite do i have it . my tomato stems have brown on them and some white and can i eat the tomatoes anyway . also how do i stop it at once thanks much

Posted by carol cook on Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:19 PM ADT

how do you get rid of tomato blite my plants were beautiful two weeks ago and now they are all turning black Please help me Thanks much

Posted by bob sorenson on Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:47 PM ADT

I have blite in my garden it is affecting the whole garden. thank you

Posted by jack longisland on Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:27 PM ADT

are the tomatos that look good on a blite infected plant ok to eat or is the complete plant shot.

Posted by Ed Greenawalt on Sunday, July 26, 2009 10:35 PM ADT

will fruit tree spray hut the plants now i have 5 plants out of200

Posted by Ed Greenawalt on Monday, July 27, 2009 5:49 PM ADT

do you think the spray for fruit trees will help my plants now or do you no ofsomething that will

Posted by Fred Handy on Friday, July 31, 2009 5:55 AM ADT

I have found that I have this desease on my tomatoes in the greenhouse , and on my potatoes on my Allotment. My question is can I save the produce from both items? Your help is appreciated thank you. Fred Handy

Posted by LouAnn on Saturday, August 1, 2009 10:59 AM ADT

just found out we have the blite. Want to know what to do and the tomatoes we have are they ok to eat?

Posted by Colleen on Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:25 PM ADT

what is it & how do I get rid of it if I have it. My tomatoe plants are in a raised bed, all new soil & peat. The lower leaves are all turning yellow & falling off & the tomatoes are coming out w a black splotch on them. I've notices little white bugs on them. What can I do & is this "blite". My first veggie garden & I can use all the help I can get. Thanks

Posted by Dan Wiese on Monday, August 3, 2009 11:23 PM ADT

what is it & how do I get rid of it if

Posted by Keith Wildfong on Friday, August 7, 2009 10:05 AM ADT

I have sever tomato blite, can I save my tomato plants or is it to late to stop the blite.

Posted by betty boyer on Saturday, August 8, 2009 11:38 AM ADT

Will blight affect any other crops, like beans.corn,cucumbers,etc.Can I plant were the tomatoes where next year with something else?

Posted by dennis on Saturday, August 8, 2009 5:41 PM ADT

the tomato are all going brown round the stem and it looks like mould

Posted by charlie vankampen on Sunday, August 9, 2009 1:24 PM ADT

tomato blight can best be controlled with a preventitive fungicide spray, eating fruit from infected plants is fine , remove all infected fruit at first sight,usually volumes of fruit harvested from infected plants will not be great, affected fruit have appearance of irregular grease spots. there is no cure, prevention is only viable answer,

Posted by connie on Monday, August 10, 2009 7:48 PM ADT

We have had a wet summer in Maine.. My bottom leaves have turned yellow.If this is blite will the dirt be good next year???

Posted by Patricia alexander on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:51 PM ADT

My tomatoes plants were awesome, and they were over four foot tall, green tomatoes all over, flowers on for more, then all the sudden the blite hit and killed my entire crop. What should i do to prevent this from happening to me next year. Thank You for any advice you could give me

Posted by Venette Michaud on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:14 PM ADT

The leaves from my tomatoes are turning brown and there are spot near the stem of the tomato, the string bean plants are also turning brown my cucumbers are in flowers but no cucumbers, my whole garden seem to be affected. Is it blite? Is it safe to plant in the same soil next year? What can I do to save my soil from this desease. Thank you

Posted by fran on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:50 PM ADT

i have tomato blite. what can i do

Posted by bee on Friday, August 14, 2009 8:23 AM ADT

where are the answers???? cant seem to find them?? Bee

Posted by john leckemby on Friday, August 14, 2009 10:55 PM ADT

can someone please tell me all about tomato blite and how to cure . thank you

Posted by Fay on Friday, August 21, 2009 8:24 PM ADT

The leaves have turned brown on my tomato plants. I have many large tomatoes and they do not have spots on them and are just starting to ripen. Are they still okay to eat

Posted by Barrett on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:34 PM ADT

Is there a way to can the tomatoes with the blite

Posted by nanc on Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:50 AM ADT

i'm located in NE PA and I work in NJ. All of my friends ahve blite on their tomotoes for the 1st time thnis year. We had much rain in the initial growing season June and July. On my way retn from the Jersey Shore - the farmer lost alot of their crop

Posted by william G. Nolan on Friday, August 28, 2009 10:28 PM ADT

how can I stop losing my tomato plants from Blight?

Posted by roger on Saturday, August 29, 2009 8:22 PM ADT

Too bad. Stinks to be your tomatoes.

Posted by sharon on Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:33 AM ADT

Everyone that I talk to has blite. Everywhere from Canada to NJ. I was lucky up untill yesterday! We have had so much rain this summer. Up untill this week my plants were viberant green full and full of green tomatoes. For the last 2 days we have had nonstop rain. Now today my plants are turning black and wilting. Is it the rain? Are the roots rotting in the ground? Can I plant there next year. It is sad to grow something and then loose it when we have already a short growing season. All the comerical growers are loosing all their entire crop to this. Please give me some help. I love tomatoes. Also I am trying to grow tomatoes inside in front of thw window. My plants are up about 4" now. Will I have to pollnate the flowere when the time comes? Will ther grow tomatoes inside or am I waisting time? Thanks

Posted by Lois Sargent on Monday, August 31, 2009 9:24 AM ADT

Same as everyone else Tomato blite How can I tret the soil to prevent next years garden from being affected HELP PLEASE!

Posted by L. Farley on Monday, August 31, 2009 6:37 PM ADT

If we had tomato blite this year can we plant tomatoes in the same spot next year or do we have to find another spot to plant our garden.

Posted by shirley willey on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:33 AM ADT

i here and see so much about blite is it dangerous can i feed the pigs my plants and tomatoes. ? DO I PUT SOMETHING IN THE SOIL FOR NEXT YEARS PLANTING ?some one said baking soda did you ever here of it?i wish i could get more info on this where do i find it or can some one help me.

• re: tomato blight

Posted by C.Stanley on Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:45 PM ADT

I get late blight every year and have used Benomyl in the past to attempt to control it with limited success. The leaves of my tomato plants would get brown spots and die starting at the bottom and it would work it's way up and spread to the other tomato plants. This year the spots appeared much earlier probably due to the above average rainfall. As a result, I sprayed my tomato plants with fungicide much earlier (late spring/early summer). This time I used "Ortho Max Garden Disease Control" with great success. I also removed the infected parts of the plants as soon as they were visible, taking care not to touch any healthy plants or parts of plants in the process. Also, dispose of the infected leaves far away from your plants, preferably in a trash pail. I sprayed a total of four times so far and have been able to stop the blight from spreading. You have to check your plants often because the blight can get a foothold in just a few days if you are not paying attention. The key is prevention. My plants are now 6 to 8 ft tall with more tomatoes than I can count. The leaves and fruits are healthy and free of any blight. I should note that I always grow my own tomato plants from seeds, starting them indoors under lights in March. For the last 15 years I have grown Celebrity Hybrid tomatoes because they produce perfectly smooth, meaty, delicious tomatoes AND they are resistant to most diseases. I also grow cherry tomatoes in separate pots. This year I chose 4 different varieties of cherry tomatoes with my first priority being resistance to as many diseases as possible. This turned out to be successful in three out of the four varieties. I buy my seeds online from "totallytomatoe.com". They list the disease resistance for every variety of tomato on their web site and in their catalog. I hope this info helps.

Posted by C. Stanley on Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:32 PM ADT

Correction to my previous post. The tomato seed web site was misspelled. It should be "totallytomato.com". I added an "e" at the end of tomato by mistake.

Posted by RICHARD G HUNT on Sunday, September 6, 2009 7:46 PM ADT

CAN I CAN THE TOMATOES WITH BLITE. HEARD THAT THEY WERE NOT SAVE TO EAT. IS THIS RAW OR CANNED.

Posted by rob on Friday, September 11, 2009 1:31 PM ADT

what can i do to stop tomato blite????

Posted by kathleen on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:39 PM ADT

please help what to do to stop it

Posted by Wendy Pettengill on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:00 PM ADT

Do not can the tomatoes, it changes the ph and they may not seal properly. They should not even be eaten with the blite. They may cause GI upset.

Posted by Jimmy Hudson Jr on Sunday, September 20, 2009 9:32 PM ADT

All my tomatoes died from the blite, What can i do to prevent this from happening next year? Think you.

Posted by sharon pugh on Friday, October 9, 2009 2:48 PM ADT

what could happen to your animals or humans due to blite

Posted by w . bower on Friday, April 23, 2010 9:05 AM ADT

remedy to be rid of tomatoe blite

Posted by bob on Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:48 PM ADT

what can i do to stop blite from getting my tomatoes agian this year.

• Bottom of tomatoe turned brown

Posted by Don Alves on Monday, July 5, 2010 9:04 PM ADT

Can you tell me what might cause this to happen.Location N.Cal.,avg air temp this time of year about 85- 100 degree and very dry.No other problems with plants.Someone said the tomatoe was getting to much sun,can this be true? Thanks for any advice.

Posted by leon monroe on Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:13 PM ADT

what can i do to stop and prevent tomato vlite

Posted by Henry Monte on Friday, July 16, 2010 12:49 PM ADT

I have a small garden and my tomatos were bad last year as the result of the blite its back this year is therenany thing i can do to stop this and save this crop.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Posted by Diane on Friday, July 23, 2010 3:50 PM ADT

How do you get rid of it?

Posted by Tracey on Monday, July 26, 2010 4:05 PM ADT

Be sure to check out Veseys article Tomato Blight-Everything You Need to Know

Posted by Tracey on Monday, July 26, 2010 4:07 PM ADT

http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/learn/reference/vegetable/tomatoblight

Posted by Chris on Monday, September 6, 2010 10:11 AM ADT

Can I can tomatoes that have been infected from blite. The tomatoe looks good, but the plant is all dried up?

• red rust blite

Posted by perry white on Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:35 PM ADT

how do I treat it and does it effect the tomato or just the plant?

Posted by Richard Therian on Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:53 PM ADT

why do my tomatoes turn black on the bottom ove some tomatos? How can I stop this? Thank You Richard

Posted by mike smith on Friday, July 22, 2011 10:19 AM ADT

what causes tomatoe blite

Posted by Veseys on Friday, July 22, 2011 12:03 PM ADT

Check out our link: http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/learn/reference/vegetable/tomatoblight

Posted by neil green on Sunday, February 26, 2012 9:36 AM AST

for the past 3years i get blite,i move them from one end to the other but have the same outcome can ispray the soil with some thing,help!!!!!

Posted by Veseys on Monday, February 27, 2012 11:21 AM AST

We have a great article on Tomato Blight online here: http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/learn/reference/vegetable/tomatoblight

Posted by larry midock on Monday, August 20, 2012 11:38 AM ADT

tomato blite what to do to the soil.

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be displayed on the fourm.
Your message will appear on the site after it has been reviewed by Veseys staff. Your patience is appreciated.