Veseys

US (Switch to Canada)

Information for Gardeners

Gardeners’ Forum: “Something's eating my tulip bulbs”

Veseys Home » Learn » Gardeners’ Forum » Something's eating my tulip bulbs
Back to Gardeners’ Forum
  • Something's eating my tulip bulbs

Posted by France Benoit on Saturday, December 23, 2006 2:23 PM AST

What else besides Squirrels eat tulip bulbs and is there any way to protect them? This creature leaves a trail in the earth like a little tunnel. thank you

• re: Something's eating my tulip bulbs

Posted by A.F.White on Wednesday, January 3, 2007 5:03 PM AST

Try planting garlic with them. OR put a 1/4 inch mest screen over them.

Posted by pei hobby on Wednesday, January 3, 2007 6:29 PM AST

Probably a mole or mouse.

Posted by Patricia Jansseune on Thursday, January 4, 2007 5:08 PM AST

Hi I think you have the pests called Chipmunks. They like to eat mine too. I put blood meal on the ground. Sometimes that works. Otherwise trap them and take them to a bush.

Posted by lloyd smith on Saturday, January 6, 2007 7:47 AM AST

You have mice or voles. Probably mice as they leave the same trails here. Moles eat worms etc. they are not vegatarians. If you have moles, voles will move out. Moles will attack voles. I had a bed that was ruined by mice...they even ate all of the foxglove....they love Siberian Iris...

Posted by Lois on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 11:25 AM AST

THis is taken from the Veseys Web site under the BUlb & Perennial Planting guide. It might help!) If wild animals like squirrels, chipmunks and mice are dining on or carrying off your bulbs, try the following: Put sharp gravel around the bulbs when you plant. Improves drainage and deters critters. Cover newly planted bulbs with very small wire mesh. Remove in spring. Interplant daffodils and frittilaria among your tulips and crocus. Squirrels hate them. Clean up bulb debris (Tunics, etc.) after you plant, so pests aren't attracted. Feed the squirrels in fall and winter. The White House puts out six peanut feeders every year to keep the critters away from the new plantings. Mothball flakes, human or pet hair, or pine needles sprinkled on the ground may work. *Cayenne pepper works, but is considered inhumane. The squirrels get it in their eyes, which causes temporary blindness and extreme discomfort. It's better to humanely trap, shoot or poison them. Do not put winter mulch on your planting until after the ground has frozen in December or January. If you put it on earlier you are creating warm, winter nests for rodents looking for winter homes! Try a commercially prepared repellent, such as 'Ropel'. This product leaves a very bitter taste on your bulbs or plants.

Posted by Wendy on Friday, April 6, 2007 11:33 AM ADT

You could try surrounding and covering the bulbs with crushed egg shells-I save all of mine. The critturs dont like the sharpness of these and they are also good for the ground!

Posted by Katherine Croxson on Sunday, July 8, 2007 9:44 PM ADT

We live in an area north of Hwy. 17 between Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie.My biggest problem is people in the area that are feeding the chipmunks.Now they are breeding in my garden area. I have lost almost 100 bulbs to this date and have had to bring tomato seedlings into my screened porch to keep the varmints away. I have used blood meal but with little success. Am going to try Cayenne pepper and hot sauce. Thanks for the comments, Katherine

Posted by gina mac on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:58 PM ADT

please don't use Cayenne pepper or hot sauce...it is so painful for the little critter. They are just hungry.

Posted by liz woods on Sunday, March 14, 2010 7:44 AM ADT

please cud someone tell me why ,the mice eat tulip bulbs and not my daffodil bulbs when there stored together!!

Posted by Johnnie on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:39 PM ADT

I think a worm was eating my fledgling bulb and sprout-seriously

Posted by Clark on Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:19 PM ADT

I would like to hear more about earthworms. My wife says she found worms in her bulbs that didn't bloom (now somewhat rotten). She also dug up ones with them that just finished blooming with no damage. I looked in the planter and only found earthworms and earwigs.

Posted by paul hale on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:59 PM ADT

will human hair stop squirrels from eating my tulip bulbs. and if so how do i use it thanks paul.

Posted by guccimaneyusweatinsohard on Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:29 AM ADT

Tulip bulbs are edible on 23% of the earths physical land mass. Except in some parts of the east atlantic the tulip bulb is prized as a "luxury item" among the native aquatic species "fish". Please check your state laws for current information and legislation about the legality of eating the tulip bulb in, on or around your area.

Posted by Ruthie Bishop on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:07 PM ADT

I am not sure whats going on in my yard. There are large holes in my tulip and other flower beds. Last year some of my tulips did not come up. I may not have any this time. I have seen moles and I do have squirrels.

Posted by Pam Gutierrez on Tuesday, September 6, 2011 11:37 AM ADT

I planted at least fifty tulip bulbs in the fall and something ate them. I put baby powder around them but that didn't seem to help. Is there anything else that I can do?

Posted by Abby on Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:54 PM ADT

I've heard chili powder is a good deterrent. Doesn't hurt the vermits but the flavor is a repellant.

Posted by Trish Saunders on Saturday, April 7, 2012 3:39 PM ADT

To Abbey, who posted on April 1: please don't use chili powder. It DOES hurt the varmints; it causes extreme pain and temporary blindness for the squirrels. Just put some daffodil bulbs in amongst your tulips next time; the little critters hate daffodils. You can also put sharp pebbles and egg shells in among your currently-blooming tulips; that should help.

Posted by lillian lee on Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:03 PM AST

Thanks everyone's inf.Can some one tell me why I bought new tulips bulbs and grow them on the full, some only grow one leaf?

Posted by Monica Farrington on Friday, March 22, 2013 12:31 PM ADT

Please, please don't kill a living, breathing little creature for the sake of a flower. Someone mentioned humane poison. There is no such thing! Poison causes excruciating pain. What right do we humans have to do this to any other creature? Whether you believe in God, Mother Earth, or just plain universal karma, what goes around comes around. The more pain and suffering we deliver to the world, the more it comes back to us. Why do you think mice are used in medical experiments? It is because they are so much like us in feeling, pain, reaction, disease, etc. Where ever you are on the moral spectrum, please weigh the importance of a living, breathing, sentient little creature in relation to a plant or flower.

• re: Something's is eating my car's water tubes

Posted by Judy Ferguson on Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:13 PM ADT

Something has eaten the soft rubber tubbing under my cars hood next to the motor. It is also dragging in tulip bulbs and eating them under the hood. Rat poisen and traps are not working. Help!!

Posted by Diane on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:05 PM ADT

Last fall, after I planted my bulbs and threw in some moth balls, within 15 minutes, a couple of squirrels dug out and ate every one! Someone suggested black pepper, as the red pepper flakes had no effect on those nasty little buggers.

Posted by Isabella McFarlin on Saturday, April 27, 2013 3:25 PM ADT

If I put about to bloom tulips in--from pots-- will it work now? Will they bloom outside?

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be displayed on the fourm.
Your message will appear on the site after it has been reviewed by Veseys staff. Your patience is appreciated.