Veseys

US (Switch to Canada)

Information for Gardeners

Gardeners’ Forum: “Where can I find a truckload of good soil?”

Veseys Home » Learn » Gardeners’ Forum » Where can I find a truckload of good soil?
Back to Gardeners’ Forum
  • Where can I find a truckload of good soil?

Posted by Lisa Smith on Friday, April 20, 2007 9:13 AM ADT

Rather than spending up to $10 a shot per bag of gardening soil, my husband thought it would be a better idea to just buy a whole truckload of soil. Any ideas where I could get something like this? I'm thinking from a landscaping company, but if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

• re: Where can I find a truckload of good soil?

Posted by pei hobby on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7:04 PM ADT

Depends on where you are located. I live on PEI zone5a-b . The best thing would be to buy( if you care about the quality) from a garden or landscaping company. Depending on what you are using the soil for lawn or bed. You might call a construction firm, they sometimes give soil away but again quality might be an issue. If you buy a truckload or get one for free till lots of compost into it.

Posted by Megan on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 9:30 AM ADT

Hi there! So I know what you are talking about looking for soil. It is cheaper to get it by the truckload. Your local landscaper will have some or rather access to some, but try your local greenhouse, I know here there are too big greenhouses that sell it "by the scoop" meaning a tractor scoop... I think we can fit 3 sccops of soil in the back of our half ton. I know the greenhouses here even will deliver...for a charge. but they have a truck that can dump it out right in the spot too. Or another place would be a construction company. I know my dad got a dumptruck load from them, but that was alot! Hope that helps you out some? meg

Posted by Rob on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:38 AM ADT

Try an excavating company. They often get topsoil from job sites and screen it for use on other jobs or for resale to consumers like yourself.

Posted by Diane on Thursday, April 26, 2007 5:28 AM ADT

Lisa, although I live in rural eastern Ontario I am sure my answer applies to most of Canada. Look in your yellow pages for sand and gravel suppliers. They usually supply topsoils, triple mix etc. etc. as well. They sell soil by the yard and will quote you accordingly. Most suppliers give you a discount on quantity. Be careful though - be sure to ask what the delivery cost is, some don't tell you!

Posted by Cryssie on Sunday, April 29, 2007 4:10 PM ADT

where are you located cause i know a company that is located in NB and will deliver just about anywhere in Nb i got 6 yards plus delivery for 160

• how much soil do you get in a standard truckload?

Posted by Ella on Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:16 AM ADT

and what are the prices?

Posted by peter on Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:04 PM ADT

$0.95 at WalMart it for a bag. I live in Nf. that has poor soil and to get a truckload @$100.00 per load you get fill grade. I would like to get a Mantis tiller but the price scares me. Composting and a tiller is where I'm getting my truckload!

Posted by George on Friday, May 25, 2007 7:41 AM ADT

Your best bet would be to find a landscape supply company, and order a load of Triple mix, which is a mixture of soil, manure, and peat moss/compost; all screened and relatively free of weeds. You can use it for filling and enriching seed beds, top dressing for your lawn, or building new beds.If you mix in some Vermiculite, it even makes a pretty good starter mix. Since most of the cost of soil products is in the trucking, you want to find a supplier as close to you as possible.

Posted by varsha mehta on Monday, March 30, 2009 11:17 AM ADT

I live in fort worth,tx-76123

Posted by Jane on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 1:41 PM ADT

Any garden supply buissness has soil sold by the truckload. It is much cheaper than buying small bags of soil at your local store. Google : "Local garden supply stores".

Posted by Steve on Saturday, July 3, 2010 12:26 AM ADT

I want to plant some vegetables on a 10'x20'size lot. Where can I find the good top soil? My zip is 33180, Miami, Fl. Thank You

Posted by reny on Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:37 PM AST

Where can I buy a small truck of good soil for my garden

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be displayed on the fourm.
Your message will appear on the site after it has been reviewed by Veseys staff. Your patience is appreciated.