Veseys

US (Switch to Canada)

Information for Gardeners

Gardeners’ Forum: “Hen & Chickens”

Veseys Home » Learn » Gardeners’ Forum » Hen & Chickens
Back to Gardeners’ Forum
  • Hen & Chickens

Posted by Patti Early on Saturday, May 23, 2009 8:36 PM ADT

Can anyone tell me how to plant Hen & Chickens in a strawberry pot? Do you just plant it in the top of the pot or do you have to plant chickens in the openings on the side of the pot?

• re: Hen & Chickens

Posted by lorraine on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:39 AM ADT

Plant where ever you want. I have some cascading down a slope of rocks. Very shallow root so just tuck in and water. If I used a strawberry planter, I would plant in all openings. Good Luck.

• re: Hen & Chickens

Posted by G Nord on Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:29 PM ADT

I just did this the other day! It took a little bit of trial and error, but this is how I went about it. Don't fill the whole pot with soil. Instead, work in stages so you can feed the root of the plant through the side openings. Then add more soil to ensure that the plant is firmly in place. Work your way up to the top. Use your imagination and inner artist when grouping the Hens and Chicks. I used two different types, one red and one green, to create contrast. I added some grass at the very top for height. They need very little water to survive. Hope this helps!

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be displayed on the fourm.
Your message will appear on the site after it has been reviewed by Veseys staff. Your patience is appreciated.