Veseys

US (Switch to Canada)

Information for Gardeners

Gardeners’ Forum: “lily pests”

Veseys Home » Learn » Gardeners’ Forum » lily pests
Back to Gardeners’ Forum
  • lily pests

Posted by helga Carter on Thursday, May 24, 2001 12:14 PM ADT

Some of my lilies have little red bugs on them. These bugs are the size of a lady bug, but only more streamlined. What are they and how do I get rid of them?

• re: lily pests

Posted by Bill Lorincz on Friday, May 25, 2001 2:58 PM ADT

Off the top of my head I cannot recall the name of the bug but it is a type of beetle and eats the leaves off the lillies. What I have been doing is checking on the plants daily and removing and killing them. Eventually you should get most of them. If not removed they will kill the lilly.

Posted by Howard Harvey on Saturday, May 26, 2001 12:55 PM ADT

I, too, have a problem with Asiatic lilies. I found one of the red beetles on a leaf and took it away. More than this, I h ave had the main stems cut off like a tree trunk abour 6-10 inches from the top and just when the buds are starting to show at the very top, The buds are not chewed nor eaten. I have thought about squirrels, and about the large black birds, but could it be this red beetle? Any input would be most welcome. I have many more lilies "on the way", and I'd like to solve this one!!!

Posted by B.Lorincz on Monday, May 28, 2001 12:09 PM ADT

An update. The bugs are known as the European Lily Beetle. They have been around for a while but this year there seems an increased number.There is no recommended control but picking them off. Be sure to crush them because they are pretty tough.They only eat the leaves so I am not sure what cut down your Lilies.

Posted by Howard Harvey on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 3:57 PM ADT

Thank you for the update. If anyone knows what is chopping off my oriental lilies, I'd sure like to hear about it. I have 40 - 50 of these planted and would like to see some flowers!!

Posted by Cheryl Aikens on Wednesday, June 6, 2001 11:17 PM ADT

I had a very healty tiger lily until the red bug showed up one day. They literally chewed the plant to death; only the stem left. I tried every pesticide I could think of - straight from the bottle onto the bug. They just kept on truckin'. I had to get rid of my lilies, but each year some still try to grow and the bug is still in residence. Good luck.

• re: lily pests LILY LEAF BEETLES

Posted by lmarion on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 12:36 AM AST

If you want to use chemicals, the ones I can tell you about are "neem" products. They can be purchased under the trade names Turplex, Azatin EC, Margosan-O, Align, and Bioneem. Neem kills the larvae and repels the adults. Neem is most effective on the first instar larvae; it must be applied every 5-7days after egg hatch. Systemic insecticide Merit(imidacloprid) to provide effective control when applied to the soil in the spring when foliage begins to show but this material is not readily available for homeowners. To help us keep track of the beetle's distribution. please report any sightings more than 50 miles from central Boston (401(874-2750) This article came from the Department of Plant Sciences, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI 02881 2/98 I know this material is slightly out of date, but the beetle has spread. Any new information that I can find I will post for you. Until then, it is all out direct warfare on these little beggars. The beetle is a great flyer. Larvae enter the soil to pupate; pupae are flourescent orange. New adults emerge 16-22 days and feed until fall. They do not mate or lay eggs until they emerge the following spring in late March through June. Lily leaf beetles overwinter in the soil or plant debris in the garden or woods, sometimes a distance away from the host plant. Adults prefer enviroments that are shaded, protected, cool and moist. I don't want to get into what the larvae look like and they carry excrement on their backs.(gross) They look like swollen orange, brown, yellowish, or even greenish bodies with black heads. Disgusting, disgusting little creeps. There we have it.

Posted by Debbie on Saturday, July 11, 2009 7:32 PM ADT

I just discovered these on my lilys. I live in Ont. Canada. I don't remember having this problem last year. Do you have any solutions. It would be appreciated.

Posted by Judie on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:48 AM ADT

I too live in Ontario and have these annoying pests. Last year was the 1st yr I had them and they stripped my lilies down to the wood - fortunately the lilies came back but so did the pests. Any advice on how to get rid of them?

Posted by Wendy on Friday, July 24, 2009 12:46 PM ADT

Hi everyone. I too have the dreaded red lily beetle in my gardens in Ontario Canada. I have discovered that you can never really rid your plants/soil of them unless you remove all of your lilies! Myself, not wanting to do THAT (as I love my lilies far too much) have had success with spraying all of my lilies (asiatic, oriental & daylilies) with NEEM OIL spray in addition to "handpicking" the beetles. Veseys sells Neem Oil (item no. 80761)and Canadian Tire sell a premixed Neem spray. You really have to check your lilies daily to stay ahead of them. I was told my a grower that the lily beetle reproduces every seven days!Neem DOES NOT kill the beetles instantly unlike other pesticides. Neem is "good bug" friendly. One last tip that I've learned along the way is to spray the Neem spray as soon as you see new lily growth in the spring. You can hopefully lessen the number of lily bettles throughout the season. Good luck everyone as I understand how frustrating it is to see your lilies not at their best.

Posted by Michaelea Calon on Saturday, August 8, 2009 8:32 PM ADT

I have just discovered this annoying bug in my garden. I only had four lilies mixed in with my Iris's. This bug has completely eaten my four lilies, and luckily has not touched anything else. I live in Calgary, AB

Posted by Robin on Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:44 PM ADT

I live in Connecticut, and these little pests have completely chomped all of my lilies and a few other flowers.

Posted by Derek on Sunday, September 13, 2009 5:09 PM ADT

I live in New Brunswick (Eastern Canada) and I have them too. I went out every day for about a month or more in May and June and killed some everyday. (Including larvae and the little red eggs under the leaves) IT was a pain but they stopped coming at one point and all 15 plants flowered...last year none of the plants did so I was happy. I am not looking forward to this process again next year.

Posted by MARY Orvis Baker on Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:09 PM ADT

Thanks for the info-I too have these irritating little red beetles that do a number on my lillies. Last year was the first year that I had them. This year, i am trying to pick them off each day. I', glad to know what they are. Thanks, I live in Vermont.

Posted by Tara White on Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:52 PM ADT

I have also been doing battle with these little red beetles. I live in CT and just encountered these bugs last year for the first time (though I have been growing lillies for years). They destroyed my tiger lillies but did not touch my day lillies. So, it sounds like removing them is the least toxic solution - good to know. Good luck everyone!

Posted by Christine on Friday, May 28, 2010 9:35 PM ADT

I have had this problem for about 3 years now. Some patches of Asiatic lilies, they leave completely alone. Other patches, they have eaten almost all the buds off theh lilies. They don't touch the rest of the plant, only the buds. The plants themselves remain very healthy. I was wondering whether to get rid of the plants that had the buds eaten off?

Posted by Christine on Friday, May 28, 2010 9:36 PM ADT

I forgot to mention I live in extreme southeastern Virginia.

Posted by Mary on Monday, May 31, 2010 8:32 PM ADT

For the first time in 12 years of living where I do, central NH, I have these pests and will try to get the NEEM spray, but they've already done a number on my tiger lilies. I hope this works!

Posted by Cathy on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:56 PM ADT

I too have this annoying beetle. They have completely desimated my neighbours lillies butI have been picking them off despite the disgusting excrement on the leaves. I'm going to Canadian Tire to buy some Neem hoping it will work. I live in Northern Ontario

Posted by Laurie on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:13 PM ADT

my lilies have been infested by these red beetles. I did not know what was eating all the leaves until I saw the disgusting larvae covered with slime, which I now know is excrement. When I see the bugs they seem to always be mating. I live in Western Massachusetts and this is the first time that I have seen these bugs on my plants. I want to try to rid them safely since I have a new puppy.

Posted by Gayle Martin on Sunday, June 6, 2010 10:58 PM ADT

Last fall I planted asiatic lily bulbs. They all came up this spring and every day there is another plant sliced off. Whatever is doing it does not eat the plant, just cuts it off. Could it be chipmunks or squirrels and how can I keep them away? I have tried cayene pepper and moth balls but neither work.

Posted by Jacqueline on Sunday, June 13, 2010 2:01 PM ADT

My husband loves gardening. He planted ground border lilies from veseys but there are these lily pests too. I help him squeeze these red beetles everyday, morning and late in the afternoon but there's still more. Aside from these beetles, there are tiny slugs like wrapped with mud that stay under the leaves. What are these? What kind of insecticides to get rid of these ones. I have read that one has a problem with squirrels, you can try planting garlic in the garden because squirrels don't like the smell of garlic. One alternative, pour in chopped garlic in boiling water, let it cold and spread around the garden but not too close to the roots of the plants. Good luck.

Posted by Pat on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:10 PM ADT

OK, I have them. Been surfing the internet and looks like search and destry by human is about the only way--especially in Ontario where pesticide use is limited. Also reading up on some of the insecticides and I don't think I wat them around either. So, I have to go out and squish them--fast little devils too and hardy so make sure they are dead and drop them in a little can or jar. The 'babies' are under the leaves--black excrement-like covering over beigy larva. Get rid of them. Clean up all around and hope for the best.

Posted by bee-tle in my bonnet on Friday, June 18, 2010 1:08 PM ADT

I tried spraying these little pests with nematodes this year. It seems to have killed the larvae.Although I should have applied it much earlier in the spring. As for the beetles themselves someone told me to spray them with raid? I hoping a combination of both with destroy those little critters for good! Bee-tle in my bonnet, Ontario Canada

Posted by joyce on Saturday, June 19, 2010 9:46 AM ADT

my lillies were beautiful last yr. multiplied and was hoping for even better year this year, but then I got the red bettles, yuk, I never see the betles just the black slime, tried to remove it but it was horrible. I'm cutting all lillies down, going to remove mulch, hopefully next year will be better.

Posted by alison on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:03 PM ADT

I have the red critters and they have eaten off all the leaves of my red boarder lilies. I am in Northern NB. All they leave behind is brown, well, crap.

Posted by Patricia C Vener on Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:23 PM ADT

My border lilies were fine (they are early bloomers) until last week. Now they and all my other lilies (asiatics and day!) are foundering. I don't see red beetles nor slime (perhaps I haven't gotten close enough?) but the leaves are withering and the buds are tiny and some plants are just stunted! It may be too late but I am going to get some Neem oil this weekend to try. Can't hurt anyway.

Posted by Mike Hebert on Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:27 PM ADT

Iv'e had these lily leaf beetles for three years. They can be pretty easily controled by spraying them with Seven every couple of weeks possibly more often if you ge heavy rain. This year is the first time I have had the buds eaten off. I'm not sure whats doing it no beetles or larve present. I'll take any thoughts. I live in Maine

Posted by tara on Sunday, July 4, 2010 12:37 PM ADT

the larvae under the leaves will drop into the dirt as well to change into the adults so you should check your dirt as well.

Posted by mary samburg on Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:11 AM ADT

I also have these red things on my lillies BUT also have discovered that my lillies are being destroyed at the roots. Whole strands are just falling over with all roots totally gone. HELP!!!!

Posted by Lori on Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:08 PM ADT

I live in Connecticut. Northern New Haven County area. The first time I have ever seen my tiger lilies devastated. Completely ruined.Leaves,buds and even whole open flowers. I never had this red beetle pest before. I left a message with UConn agricultural department. If I can't get rid of these pests I'm going to get rid of what they like to eat. I'll stick to day lilies and hope that no pest attacks them next.

Posted by Dawn on Sunday, July 18, 2010 1:12 PM ADT

I live in Southern NB and I just discovered the red lilly bettle all over my lillies. I surfed the internet and found someone mentioned to spray the plants with dishsoap and water. Thought I got nothing to loose..so I whipped up some dawn dishsoap and water in a spray bottle and went spraying my plants. It killed the beetle...I didn't notice any of the slimmy stuff that everyone else mentioned. I checked them all well while I was spraying. I'm going to continue spraying them every couple of days and hopefully I can get them under control..

Posted by Esther on Sunday, September 12, 2010 1:56 AM ADT

I wish I had read this forum at the beginning of the summer. Now I know what destroyed my gorgeous oriental lilies this year. I had lots of stargazers and other oriental lilies for years. This summer I noticed those accursed red bugs. I tried picking them off the plants, but I couldn't keep up. This method is useless in my opinion. They just destroyed the plants. Any chances the plants will come back next spring? I will spray with whatever I have to in order to get rid of those bugs. Has anybody used any sprays that worked? I'll be happy to try the dishsoap too. I live in CT and have never seen those bugs until this year. Good luck to all.

• re: Lily pests

Posted by Yves on Monday, May 9, 2011 3:54 PM ADT

The beetle arrived in force in the Waterloo, Ontario area last year and devastated my lilies by July before I knew what was going on. Control did not help then and the lilieas were a loss. This year, I checked early, on May 8th, and I have already found two beetles munching on my sprouting lilies. I also found two orange strips (1/4 inch long and very narrow) on the underside of growing leaves. I crushed them all and and keeping an eye out for them daily. The adults do drop to the soil easily when disturbed and are easy to find. Hopefully, I will have decent lilies this year instad of the stalks and black gunk from least year.

• beatle

Posted by Bonnie on Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:42 PM ADT

They are eating my asian lilies in Norwalk, CT. I never saw one before. I am oging to get some Bayer rose spray.

Posted by Lisa on Sunday, June 19, 2011 8:02 AM ADT

I live in Watertown, Connecticut and also have these bugs...for the 1st time only on my asiatic lillies. They ate all the leaves and I did not know what it was...I am planning to cut down the lillies, (some did bud but I just could not sit there and squish every bug),remove the mulch, and then see if I can spray early next spring...I hope its not too late for next year. I have had these lillies for over 10 years and never had a problem.

Posted by Bourke M j on Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:52 PM ADT

I'll pipe in too. Toronto ON here - red beetles showed last summer and this summer is brutal. I read that the beetles are yet another invasive species. First infection took place in the NE states and has spread very quickly to much of the East. Originally from China, the beetles have no natural predator. While there is some research into the use of a wasp (another nonnative insect....hmmmm) it's still in the early stages. I am trying both neem and soap mixtures. The soap wasn't too effective and neem was applied twice today. I have some lilies that appear to be popular and others are less damaged. All are damaged. Some are stripped bare. I am now deciding what I am going to putY in the space once occupied by lilies. I am curious to see happens next year because these beetles are tough and until there is a decent fix I can't fight them well. Too many irises and too many bugs! Of course now I need to track and post the required links for reference and to let you know I am not making this up. Good luck everyone!

Posted by Nina on Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:17 PM ADT

I have hyperion day lillies that have bloomed beautifully every year. This year something seems to be eating the buds. Some of them look wilted and stunted and have tiny black spots in them. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks!

Posted by Rose on Monday, April 30, 2012 9:36 PM ADT

I have the pesky things in Winnipeg too. Started last year and I just pulled all of my plants out. My lilies came up this year and those nasty bugs are back. I've been picking them off (and the buggers are one on top of the other - mating?) and squishing them with a rock and rip off the leaves that have eggs on them. I haven't seen any larvae. From reading this blog I think I might spray with diluted dish soap - certainly can't hurt...

Posted by eileen on Sunday, May 20, 2012 8:08 PM ADT

i have the bettle critters too, i used a bug be-gon spray and sprayed ground with ammonia mixed with water 1-10 homemade solution, hoping for the bestm also destroyed some manually, GOOD LUCK EVERYONE--WHAT A DISASTER FOR THE BEAUTIFULL LILLIES.

Posted by Birdie on Saturday, June 2, 2012 9:33 PM ADT

Burlington Ontario...in less than a week my lilies have been devoured. Thanks for confirming my thoughts about the waste and larvae that I have been hand removing.

Posted by patriann on Saturday, June 9, 2012 6:48 PM ADT

I have checked mine but don't see any bugs. I have beetles on my canine lillies and I spray them with a water and dawn detergent and I have a 5 gallon bucket with some water and heavy dishwashing liquid and pick the beetles off and put them in there and they die. I'm going to try this.

• those little red beetles

Posted by julia on Monday, June 11, 2012 2:42 PM ADT

I just found these over the weekend (June 9-10) munching away on my asiatic lilies here in Toronto just as they have come into bloom. I did not have them last year at all. So I went to the Home Depot garden centre and there were no pesticides available but there was one "eco" bug-off soap solution that went on like foamy dish soap which I sprayed on the stalks and leaves. Then went over each long stalk by hand (gloves on) to remove the little red eggs that were under the leaves. I killed a few beetles and did not see any back this morning. I think hand removal is the way to go - difficult with large plants and many long stalks. I will look for Neem at Cdn Tire too. Good luck everyone.

Posted by pam on Monday, June 11, 2012 3:54 PM ADT

I live in Toronto, ON, and have the red bug eating my tiger lilies. I scrape off the mud/slimy stuff from the back of the leaves and stems, but each day there is more. I will try the dish soap method next. Most of the leaves are destroyed, but the flowers are starting to open now.

Posted by jo martin on Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:45 PM ADT

We live in Winnipeg.Have had our tiger lillies for many years and they were always hardy and beautiful. this year they have been stripped by these awful bugs. Will try the NEEM OIL spray and pick off teh the little buggers. Hoping they never come back if we can manage to get rid of them.

Posted by Vicki on Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:22 PM ADT

I have asiatic lilies and something is eating not just the leaves, but the buds as well. Has anyone else experiencing this?

Posted by Heather on Monday, July 9, 2012 11:03 PM ADT

I live in CT and these bugs have destroyed ALL my Lillies. I'm really disappointed in the hand picking solution. I'm too busy to monitor so closely.

• Asiatic Blooms and Leaves Totally Gone!

Posted by Carmelita on Sunday, July 22, 2012 4:13 PM ADT

I'm in Georgia and after a first flower garden have found my Asiatic Lilies totally destroyed. Thought they were taking kind of long for blooms to open up. Then tops disappeared I think and now all leaves are totally gone like overnight.

Posted by Eric on Monday, July 30, 2012 10:34 AM ADT

Our tiger lilies have the same problem, we mainly take the bugs off as we see them and crush them (wish we didn't have to kill them but oh well). Also look on the underside of the leaves for brown mushy ball-like things, there is a grub inside that I believe turns into the bugs and I crush them as well.

Posted by Holly on Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:57 PM ADT

I live in Airdrie Alberta and just found these on my lilies today. So far they have only destroyed 2 plants and have left the third alone, although I don't know how long it will be before they find the third.. Off to Canadian Tire for some Neem treatment.

Posted by Amy Sawyer on Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:13 PM ADT

Hi! We got the dreaded red lily lead beetle as well; however, this year we got a praying mantis egg and when it hatched I made sure I dropped a few of those suckers by my lilies. They seemed to have wiped out the beetles!! I am thinking of using the praying mantis in future years as my "natural" pesticide!!!

Posted by Ed Ingerman on Sunday, June 2, 2013 5:27 PM ADT

Putnam Valley NY Checking. Heavy infestation . Other than pick and squish have not tried Neem as yet.

Posted by CDOUCETTE on Sunday, June 30, 2013 12:56 AM ADT

The answer to saving your lilies is not by using chemicals. Look underneath the leaves and in the dirt at the base of you plant where the beetles hide and pick and squish. This is a hint that has saved our lilies every year, Use olive oil, lather your hands and run up and down the stalks making sure to grease the underside of the leaves but not the flower buds. This makes it impossible for the beetles to stay on the leaves. You may have to repeat in a week but applying this once has worked great and apply in the evening when it is cooler. Works great in New Brunswick and we have gorgeous lilies every year.

Posted by debbie on Monday, July 15, 2013 7:26 PM ADT

i have these this is the first year i have had them thanks for the info will try all of it and see which one works in the united kingdom great britain

Posted by Jaimi on Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:46 AM ADT

Last year I had these red beetles and they destroyed my asiatics. This year I was very proactive. I raked back the mulch and some dirt and put down Bonide systemic granules with imidacloprid before the Lillie's started to grow. I raked the dirt and mulch back and sprinkled some more granules on top of the mulch. After the Lillie's started to grow I used Bayer Rose & Flower care every 2-3 weeks. So far, I have only found 1 red beetle and I squished him. But I haven't found any more. My Lillie's are growing and look healthy. The buds are much smaller than than the big buds before the nettle attack. They appear healthy however the buds are tipped down for some reason. does anyone know what this might be?

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be displayed on the fourm.
Your message will appear on the site after it has been reviewed by Veseys staff. Your patience is appreciated.