Medium Hot Chili Recipe
Lots of spices and slow simmering gives this chili an extra zing.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup stock
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans (about 1 cup dried)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon minced oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 small jalapeno peppers, chopped (remove seeds if desired).
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven, crumble in the beef and cook until browned. Add the onions, celery and garlic, and cook over low heat until the onions are soft.
Add the tomatoes, stock, beans, chili powder, marjoram, oregano, thyme, cayenne, ginger, bay leaf and jalapeno peppers. Cover and cook over low heat for about 1 hour or until the chili has thickened. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
Remove the Bay leaf before serving
Serves 4 to 6
Veseys Seeds Limited, York, Prince Edward Island